Application Deadline: October 1, 2016
Click here to access the application.
The goal of SALTQuarters is to generate a creative hub for artistic endeavors that engage with the Near Westside community. Thus, the SALTQuarters Artist-in-Residence program, aims to create public artwork within the Near Westside neighborhood.
Selected artists receive a furnished artist apartment with attached studio (shared with other artist in residence), and staff support from the Near Westside Initiative (NWSI). Applications are open to all artists working in a variety of medium with a particular focus and interest in community-based artwork (broadly defined). Specifically, the NWSI will give preference to artists with an interest in:
- Being immersed and involved with the surrounding community for the duration of the residency
- Creating work in conjunction with local community members and other artists and arts organizations;
- Creating work and installations that can be viewed by the general public whether through open studio hours, public art installations, or periodic gallery installations
The SALTQuarters Artist-in-Residence program will begin January 15, 2017 and will be a yearlong residency for a local artist and a six month or yearlong residency for a national artist. Local will be defined as any artist living/working in the Central New York region. Both artists will be selected by the Near Westside Initiative.
The two artists will be asked to share an apartment and share an arts studio (free of charge). The furnished apartment, roughly 1000 sq ft, has two-bedrooms, a spacious kitchen/living room area, a washer and dryer, and other general amenities. The art studio is roughly 500 square feet with ample natural light, power, and access to water, etc.
The Near Westside Initiative will assist the selected artists in integrating with the community and building the connections between themselves and the residents, organizations, artists, and others in the Near Westside community. Some examples include:
- Neighborhood orientation upon arrival to SALTQuarters.
- The NWSI connection with Syracuse University will allow for SALTQuarters artists to make use of some of the University’s resources, i.e. facilities, equipment and events.
- Resource guide for community and arts related services, materials and facilities in the area.
Artists who successfully submit a full application will be notified of our selection by November 1st regarding this exciting opportunity. In some cases, artists may be asked to clarify or provide additional information. Additionally, the selection committee may request an interview with final candidates. This will either be done in person, or if unable due to distance or cost, may be done via Skype.